If you are serious about getting the most out of blogging, then it’s safe to say that you need to take it seriously. The right way to start building a blog is to pay attention to the kind of blog you want to build. Most people decide to start a blog without really thinking about what kind of blog they want to make. What do we mean by that?
The Kind of Blog MattersIn our opinion, the power of the blog should never be ignored. It can be a revolutionary form of marketing and income generation for yourself. More importantly, though, a blog gives you the chance to show the world who you are and what you stand for.
And believe us – that’s a good thing.
To do that right, though, you need to understand blog types. Put simply, a blog can comprise of all manner of different kinds of content. Let’s take a look at some of the examples of blog types:
- General Writing. A blog on a specific topic/industry that’s built to offer general information. Usually built as some kind of lead anchor, you would use this kind of general writing blog for beginners. It would be good to help people know more about the subject. Usually not too advanced, instead collating important frequently asked questions and offering answers.
- Reviews. A common form of blog is to offer out reviews and recommendations. If you were working in the skincare industry, for example, you could be offering reviews of natural products. It could be a good way to show your authority, as well as link to the purchase option for that particular product. Great for making a positive impression and build up your expertise.
- Analysis. Another form of blog is one that collates vital data and analysis and puts it together into a readable package. From showing people the growth rates of certain currencies to building an analysis blog about sports, you have limitless potential here.
- Interviews. The other key kind of blog that we recommend you look at depends on the kind of contacts you can make. Interviewing industry authorities and experts gives you the perfect opportunity to collect important information and details from experts to share across the web.
The Art of Running a Serious Blog
- Putting in the time. A common mistake that many people make when it comes to running a blog is a failure to put in the time expected. Putting in the time is a common part of the experience. Many people start a blog, write a few posts, wonder why they aren’t seen as an expert and then give up. You need to put in the time.
- Writing for value. The other aspect of a good blog is that it runs on the premise of providing value, not profit. It’s a virtuous cycle, anyway; the more value you provide, the more likely it is that someone will invest in you. This is very important: writing for value means giving people helpful information, advice and recommendations first.
- Developing a voice. A major mistake that many people make when developing a blog is failing to find their own voice. From how you phrase certain terms to quirks like turning to analogies, turns of phrase and telling stories is vital. If your blog lacks uniqueness and personality, it can be hard to make the points that you originally intended.
- Helping your readers. The best thing you can do as a blogger is to develop a process whereby you learn from your readers. What do they like? What do they intend to do with their time? What kind of problems are they dealing with? How can you introduce an answer to a popular problem? Write based on the problems people face, not simply on what’s selling well on Amazon!